(and not aimed solely for the sweethearts out there! read onâ€¦)
So in the spirit of Valentineâ€™s week, I thought it pertinent to talk a little bit about love. No, we shouldnâ€™t need an excuse to do so, and yes, perhaps it is largely a Hallmark holiday or a strategic attempt to boost the flower and chocolate economy, but you really never can overdo it when it comes to love. I mean, have you ever heard anyone say at the end of their days they simply had too much love? I didnâ€™t think so.
Today is the perfect day to either have a little extra love for yourself, or perhaps give a little extra love to someone else.
One can never indulge in too much love, and just that little bit can really go a long way. Weâ€™ve all heard the saying, have a penny, leave a penny; need a penny, take a penny. Perhaps we could look at love a little the same way. Some days we have a little extra to give away, some days we need a little extra to take for ourselves. And Iâ€™m not talking about grand gestures here. There are lots of simple and meaningful ways to show ourselves, and others, a little extra lovinâ€™.
ways you can have a little love for yourself:
- go for a walk. Get some fresh air. Enjoy the scenery. Itâ€™ll do you good.
- have a bubble bath. (Even the gentlemen can do this!)
- take yourself out on a date. I did this last weekâ€¦ sat at the bar at a funky restaurant, had a nice glass of wine, even indulged in a delicious after eight crÃ¨me brulee. Itâ€™s nice to enjoy your own company.
- disconnect for a moment. Give yourself permission to not check e-mails, facebook, whatâ€™s app, linkedIn, google+ – whatever it is, if only for a little while.
- buy yourself something nice. That book youâ€™ve been wanting to read, that scarf youâ€™ve been eyeing, Go on, you deserve it.
- sneak a chocolate. Or you favorite candy, cookie, or bevvy. Whatever your guilty little pleasure is, indulgence in it. Â
Â ways you can give a little love to someone else:
- Â write someone a note. Be it an email, or even better, put pen to paper and send some good olâ€™ fashioned snail mail. Tell them hello, tell them you thought about them, tell them you appreciate them. It will make their day.
- Â smile at a stranger. Weâ€™ve all heard the saying ~ smile at the world and the world smiles back at you.
- engage in a random act of kindness. Toss a coin in an expired parking meter. Buy the coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru.
- support a cause. We all know someone who is somehow raising money, participating in a charitable event, bravely championing a cause. Or we may have a cause that means something to us. Giving even a few dollars, or perhaps volunteering a few hours of our time, will make a difference.
- call up an old friend. Weâ€™re all busy. Itâ€™s easy to get too caught up to catch-up. Make it happen. No doubt itâ€™ll leave you both invigorated.
- tell someone you love them.
Love really is what makes the world go around. So have a little love, give a little love, and youâ€™ll get back a whole LOTTA love!
Have a FAB week, everyone!