(images taken from my hotel and last night’s run!)
Happy Friday! And Happy Black Friday to boot!
And greetings from Gatineau, Quebec, a little outside of Ottawa, where I’ve had the honour and privilege of speaking for the Financial Management Institution (fmi) Professional Development Week.
I spoke on a leadership panel a few days ago, and this afternoon was the first time I spoke in a massive theatre (with a green room and all!) and the first time I had my slides and presentation translated.
Apart from the fact my session was the last slot on the last day of a 5-day conference, and on a Friday afternoon no less, it went well!
Black Friday has been the furthest thing from my mind, however my inbox is now flooded with deals galore, not-to-be-missed-sales, one of kind ‘ACT NOW!’ opportunities.
It’s come to be expected.
Black Friday is any retailer, credit card provider, consumer’s dream.
But is it, really?
Do we really need any more STUFF?
I’m going to generalise here a little bit, but we seem to be a culture chasing stuff, things, something.
Whether it be the dream, the job, the man (or woman,) the house, the kids, the latest gadget or gizmo that’s now on sale at Best Buy.
Well I’m going to let you in on a little secret.
NONE of those things are going to bring you the happiness that I dare say we’re all so desperately seeking.
So, I’m going to boycott Black Friday.
Instead, I’m going to take this opportunity to reflect on where I’m at, what’s real, what’s not, what’s working, what’s not, and who I need to be in order to get to where I want to go.
Care to reflect with me? Here are some questions to ponder… (and I dare you to actually answer at least a few!)
- How did you show up today?
- How do you want to show up tomorrow?
- Where in your life are you brave?
- Where in your life could you be braver?
- What are your unique gifts?
- Are you bringing all of your gifts to the table?
- What are your non-negotiables?
- Are you sticking to them?
- What brings you joy, really?
- How can you bring more of the joy?
- What words would you like others to use when describing you?
- What are you grateful for today?
- Who are those special peeps in your life you can’t live without?
- When was the last time you told them so?
- What courageous conversation, that if you had today, would make all the difference?
- What one thing, that if you started doing (or stopped doing) today, would make all the difference?
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
- If you could wave a magic wand and make one change to your current reality, what would it be?
- What is your one big message you want to share with the world?
- How are you sharing it? And if you’re not already sharing it, when are you going to start?
- What does living BIG mean to you?
- Where could you live even BIGGER?
- What is your first next step to start you on this path?
Perhaps a little deep for a Friday evening.
But then again, is there ever going to the right time to ask the tough, reflective, important questions?!?
(And if you have any other questions to throw into the mix, I’d love to hear from you!) Please feel free to share your comments below.
Happy Black Friday!