Still on a high from an incredible CAPS convention in beautiful Vancouver, BC, learning and connecting with fellow speakers from all over the world… however there is no rest for the wicked, especially at this time of year!
After a serious leak from the condo above, I’ve had all new floors and baseboards put in, and the whole place repainted. So I’ve had no home for a few weeks (thank goodness I do love hotels!) and was finally able to move back in. Just in time, too, as I’m co-hosting a Christmas party tonight for the amazing Dovetail community of female entrepreneurs, and throwing a tacky Christmas sweater party for other friends and colleagues tomorrow night… because, well, why not?!?
I do love this exciting season, however perhaps you can relate to the to-do lists taking on a life of their own?
So I’m reminding myself, and you, to take a moment to slow down, and connect with what this season is really about.
And as I’m all about small, do-able, fun activities that can make a BIG difference both for you and for others, and we’re now knee deep into this festive season, I have some ideas for you!
Here are 25 easy ways to add a little extra merry and joy to you and yours and others this holiday season:
- Make a snow angel ❄👼❄ (ideally right on the sidewalk for all to see!)
- Donate to your local food bank or fill a Shoebox for The Shoebox Project
- Send yourself a Christmas Card 📭 (why not?!?) and then give your postman (or postwoman!) a card while you’re at it
- Buy yourself a poinsettia
- Shovel a neighbour’s driveway or sidewalk
- Invent a Christmas Cocktail
- Spend a day in your robe and just do nothing
- Buy coffee for the person behind you in line ☕
- Get a sparkly festive manicure 💅
- Go to the movies to watch a vintage holiday classic 📽 (or stay in your jammies and watch Love Actually!)
- Learn a Christmas tune on the ukulele or the nose flute (talk to me if you’ve never heard of the nose flute, and I’ll introduce you to my good friend David Gouthro, who also happens to be the founder of the Vancouver Nose Flute Ensemble!)
- Treat yourself to a comfy onesie… be it a cheesy Christmas themed one or a snuggie!
- Go to a fancy store, and try on a ridiculously expensive fuzzy, furry item… just ‘cause! (Or go to Value Village and buy a tacky Christmas sweater!)
- Build a Snowman ☃
- Visit your local Children’s hospital or hospice and enjoy some meaningful moments
- Buy chocolates for an old teacher, a mentor, or yourself
- Go ice skating ⛸ or tobogganing 🛷 !
- Put on a pair of reindeer antlers and walk around town as if all is normal.(Maybe even make some ‘neeeiiigghh’ sounds!)
- Indulge in an obnoxiously large and fancy hot chocolate or other holiday beverage (I’m talking like Venti Gingerbread Latte styles!)
- Bond with a stranger and turn them into a friend
- Spend some time out in nature. Go for a walk and if you’re lucky to have snow where you are, listen to the crunch sound under your feet as you walk
- Bake cookies 🍪
- Make an easy holiday craft (I always found reindeer candy canes the easiest!)
- Get a few friends or neighbours together and go Christmas Caroling 🔔
- Crank up the 🎶 Christmas tunes 🎵 while driving, while cooking, or whenever… and get your belt on!
Lots of ideas there… I hope you take on just ONE this week!
And then please do share your stories below ~ and also feel free to add your ideas to the list! Always on the lookout for new fun things to do.
Remember, it’s not about simply adding more to your to-do list, rather to offer a fun respite of sorts, and get re-connected with what this holiday season is really about.
Have a FAB time making merry this week!
P.S. My friend Warren Leppik at Cognition Productions made a holiday card on my behalf for y’all… check it out HERE!