Are you responsible, or do you have a responsibility?!?
There is the idea of being responsible, and there is the idea of responsibility. Are they the same thing? Perhaps in certain contexts… however on the whole I think not. And, I think it’s important to make a distinction.
I had the pleasure of engaging in some very inspiring and thought-provoking conversations while hosting Jim Cathcart (personal development extraordinaire, spoken at over 2500 conferences all around the world, inducted into the Speakers Hall of Fame, author of 16 books…) this week. We were discussing the potential impact that speakers can have on so many lives. He pointed out on more than one occasion that while indeed it is an honour, with that comes a big responsibility. It’s true. And I think that is true for all of us.
Whether you are a professional speaker or not, you have a responsibility to share the best of who you are and what you know. You have a responsibility to share your story, share your gifts, and share your message… even on the days when you don’t feel like it, when you don’t feel ready, or when you don’t feel ‘good enough.’
I know you want to make a difference in the world. And so…
- You may not be responsible for other people’s thoughts, actions, or feelings, however you have a responsibility to do what you can to affect them in a positive manner.
- You may not be responsible for other people’s decisions, however you have a responsibility to deal with every situation with confidence and to the best of your ability.
- You may not be responsible for the rain or the weather, however you have a responsibility to make the day a good one.
- You may not be responsible for another’s successes or failures, however you have a responsibility to help them see what is possible for their lives.
- You may not be responsible for all successes or failures in your own life, however you have a responsibility to learn from every experience.
- You may not be responsible for certain uninvited, unwelcome, unexpected events that take place in your life, however you have a responsibility to face them with as much courage as you can.
You may not be responsible for a lot of things in life, however you still have a responsibility to show up, to be you, and to do the best you can ~ wherever you are with whatever you have. (Click to tweet it out!)
Have a FAB week!